As winter takes hold in Chicago, many homeowners often halt their renovation plans. However, there are plenty of indoor projects suitable for the colder months. While certain projects like installing windows or a backyard pool may be less practical in the chilly weather, there are numerous indoor renovations that can enhance your living space right now. Here are some key winter renovation ideas for Chicago homeowners:
Kitchen Upgrades: A Culinary Revamp
- Consider a winter kitchen upgrade by installing new countertops, painting or replacing cabinets, or adding a new backsplash. This not only gives your kitchen a fresh look but also enhances functionality. Starting now ensures your kitchen is ready for warm-weather entertainment or the spring market if you plan to sell, making it a potentially high-return investment.
Bathroom Refresh: Modernize Your Space
- Small changes in the bathroom can make a big impact. Replace outdated faucets and fixtures for a modern, fresh look. Opt for water-efficient faucets to update your space and reduce water flow by 30% or more compared to standard flow.
Maximize Your Storage
- Winter is an opportune time to reorganize and redesign your closets with custom shelving systems. These built-ins, tailored to your specific needs, are perfect for keeping your belongings organized. Enhance functionality and aesthetics by adding energy-efficient lighting, such as LED strips or motion-sensor lights.
Lighting Makeover: Brighten Up Your Space
- The right lighting can transform your home’s ambiance. Consider energy-efficient LED options or smart lighting systems that allow you to control intensity and color. This stylish and cost-effective upgrade can save you money in the long run.
Give Your Walls a Makeover
- Instantly rejuvenate any room with a fresh coat of paint, new wallpaper, or artwork. Explore different colors, patterns, and materials to find the perfect fit. Practical choices like vinyl wallpapers and removable options work well in specific areas like kitchens and powder rooms.
Laundry Room Update: Enhance Efficiency and Aesthetics
- Revitalize your laundry room by installing new storage solutions, updating appliances, or adding a fresh coat of paint. These small changes can make the laundry process feel less burdensome.
Smart Home Integration: Get Smart and Save
- Consider adding smart home appliances for improved efficiency and convenience. Smart thermostats, locks, and speakers can enhance energy management, security, and connectivity. Even if you’re not ready for significant changes, use the colder months to reassess and organize your space.
Whether it’s a major renovation or a minor upgrade, it’s crucial to consider the entire space before diving into any design work. LJ Savarie, owner of Savarie Interiors in Winnetka, emphasizes, “Whether it’s a pillow or wallpaper or a piece of art, be sure you’re thinking about the whole room.”