Buyers notice everything – all the pros and cons from cracks in the paint to the gorgeous chef’s ktichen. From the moment they walk in the door, they are deciding if this could be their next home. If your Chicago home is currently listed for sale, paying attention to buyers feedback can mean the difference between an offer and a missed opportunity.
If you’re considering selling your home, make sure you address the following 8 things before listing your Chicago home for sale.
8 Things Buyers Notice as Soon as They Walk In Your Door
- Light – A bright home is inviting. Make sure you fill your home with as much natural light as possible or a soft evening glow.
- Smell – Nothing is less inviting than a strong odor. Even candles and air fresheners can be overwhelming. Less is more and make sure nothing unpleasant is lingering.
- Space – Remove any unneeded furniture that clutters the room and offer a spacious home that flows.
- Ceilings – Of course, you can’t make your ceilings higher, but make sure they are free from water stains and cracks because buyers will look up.
- Pictures and Personal Items – Remove personalized items as much as possible so the buyers can imagine themselves in the home.
- Outdated Furnishings and Fixtures – If your home is filled with hand-me-downs, consider a professional stager. Old wallpaper or outdated paint colors should be replaced as well. It is really easy and fairly inexpensive to make upgrades that make a lasting impression.
- Dirty, Grimy Rooms – Most importantly, clean everything thoroughly. Nothing is less appealing than a dirty home. Don’t forget the kitchen drawers and the vents! People love to look through everything.
- Curb appeal- Before a buyer even enters your home, you want to make a good impression. Depending on the time of year you can add flowers, evergreens or potted plants for a warm welcome.
Download our 7 Steps to Prepare Your Home for Sale for more tips!